Saturday, June 27, 2009

30-Minute CSA Meal: Savoy Cabbage & Sugar Snap Pea Stir Fry

Here's what I learned working the 9-11 shift at the Oak Park Farmers Market info tent...it's a shift that can make you very hungry.

I'm guessing that will be true of any of the shifts between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. All that food going by and folks talking about what they're going to do with it.

I couldn't pedal fast enough to get home and try a couple tips relayed by my co-volunteer Anna. She's been to culinary school, so needless to say, I need to see if I can swing more shifts in her time slot.

This is what made me speed home: her suggestion that I chop up my savoy cabbage and stir fry it. Perfection.

Here's what I did:

Bundling up the savoy cabbage leaves, I chopped them into long strands (have I praised my Cutco knives yet? Well worth the purchase $$). I heated up some sesame oil and olive oil in a large pan. When the oil was hot, I tossed in the cabbage and a handful of sugar snap peas. As the cabbage started to turn a bright green, I splashed in a bit of the Trader Joe's version of Soy Vay. Just when I was about to take it off the heat I put in some chopped chicken (I had two chicken legs leftover from last night's cook out).

Served it over rice (also leftover) and alongside some Trader Joe's potstickers.

Best part, besides the taste? Took me less than 30 minutes to whip this up. Take that Rachael Ray.

No comments:

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
Virtual Farmgirl content (unless otherwise noted) at Virtual Farmgirl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at virtual-farmgirl.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available here.