Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cast Iron Skillet Naan

Master dough recipe.
My latest happy thing is that I can make naan with the master recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book.

I'd never read through the entire book. But after the temperature dropped, I dusted off the book and decided to make a batch of yeast dough to use for the week. I was actually looking for Thanksgiving recipes when I came across a recipe at the back of the book for skillet naan.

Who knew you could make naan in a cast iron skillet? Two of my favorite things combined: Indian food and cooking with cast iron.

What I didn't expect was to have about a 10-minute time frame to whip up a batch. But that became a necessity when I realized the frozen naan I had for a new baby gift (a side for the Goan black-eyed peas) was horribly iced over.

So I reached into the fridge for the rising dough I made on Sunday, rolled out some pancakes of dough and slapped them into a heated skillet.

I know you're not supposed to use your friends as guinea pigs, but we did taste the naan before I sent a batch over to the family with the new baby.

My verdict: delicious.

It'd be very easy to add garlic or other spices to this recipe.

I'm also excited to know that this is a recipe that can be executed on a campfire. I could see making a batch of this yeast dough and frying up some fresh bread for some hungry campers.

1 comment:

The Neck Goddess said...

Very good to know. I love that cookbook. I usually make the focaccia from the original recipe. Been wanting to try the naan.

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
Virtual Farmgirl content (unless otherwise noted) at Virtual Farmgirl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at virtual-farmgirl.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available here.