Friday, May 4, 2012

Extra Creamy Chicken, Green Chili & Asparagus Enchiladas

Green chili, chicken & asparagus.
Yes. I said asparagus and chicken enchiladas. Not asparagus as a side dish.

No, these beauties are wrapped snugly along with shredded chicken, cheese and chopped green chili.

When I saw the recipe, I almost passed it up as ridiculous. Asparagus enchiladas. Really? Really.

Try it. I'm glad I did. Because sure enough, it's. Well, it's. Amazing.

I'm not saying that just because I've spent the last few months on a super low-fat diet. This recipe from Recipe Girl turned out the best enchiladas to ever emerge from my kitchen.

I picked this recipe solely because I wanted to use the asparagus picked fresh this week by our farm friends at Sandhill Organics. And also because asparagus, cream sauce and cheese just sounded decadent. I figured a tortilla wrapping surely couldn't hurt.

Here's the recipe complete with a few of my own modifications, little changes to suit what I had on hand and to pay homage to the New Mexico green chili--a pepper that reigns supreme in our household.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken stock
8 ounces Greek yogurt
1/2 cup green chili enchilada sauce or other green chili-based taco sauce [plus 1/2 cup for bottom of pans for baking]
12 flour or corn tortillas [I used both]
3 cups chicken, cooked & shredded with a fork
1/2 cup smoked or canned green chili, chopped
12 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
2 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed & blanched [thick stalks cut in half]
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray two baking dishes with non-stick oil and spread about 1/4 cup of green chili enchilada sauce on bottom of dish.]

2. In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cooking for cook and stirring almost constantly for one minute. Add chicken stock and whisk until thick 9about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and add Greek yogurt and enchilada sauce.

3. Fill heated flour and/or corn tortillas with shredded chicken, a spear of asparagus, chicken, three TBSP sauce and green chilies.

4. Roll, then place seam down in the baking dish. Place 6 enchiladas (or however many will fit) in each dish. Sprinkle with Jack cheese, sauce and Parmesan cheese.

5. Bake 25 minutes, or until cheese turns golden and sauce is bubbly.
Serve with your favorite Mexican beer, white wine or margarita.

Note: The incredible richness of the creamy sauce is balanced nicely with the crisp, fresh asparagus. Be careful not too cook the asparagus too long. I only blanched it until the stalks turned bright green.


Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious said...

I love the asparagus in this!

Everyday-Vegetables said...

Very nice recipe. My asparagus will not be ready to eat for several years. But I may just run out and get some now. Thanks!

Creative Commons

Creative Commons License
Virtual Farmgirl content (unless otherwise noted) at Virtual Farmgirl is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available here.